The Alan Parsons Project has enjoyed a lengthy and recognized career firmly entrenched within the warm and inviting confines of Billboard’s venerable Top 40 albums beginning with 1976’s Tales of Mystery and Imagination. The collective’s second album, I Robot followed a year later and set the stage for future successes.
The Alan Parsons Project was primarily the creative flow of Eric Woolfson, and multi-instrumentalist, Alan Parsons. This nucleus was surrounded by a strong collection of musicians to make the memorable albums that bore the Alan Parsons Project moniker.
The I Robot album was a musical reimagination of Isaac Asimov’s I, Robot series. It generated three hit singles in the US that included “I Wouldn’t Want To Be Like You”, “Don’t Let It Show”, and “Day After Day (The Show Must Go On)”, all with different vocalists. I Robot still remains as one of The Alan Parsons Project‘s strongest releases.
In 2007, all of the Project’s albums were remastered and expanded with previously unreleased tracks. I Robot arrived with a new remaster and five bonus pieces, mostly demos and rough mixes. However, 2013 represents the album’s 35th anniversary and Legacy Recordings have decided to up the ante by delivering a Legacy Edition of I Robot with a completely new remaster, and a wider expansion of 14 bonus tracks that include nine previously unreleased pieces. Those features rough mixes, early parts, demos, and extracts of familiar songs (see track-listing below).
The included 20-page booklet will include not only photos, memorabilia, and extensive credits, but also new liner notes from Alan Parsons, and complete lyrics. Alan Parsons and Sally Woolfson (daughter of the late Eric Woolfson) oversaw the work done for this Legacy Edition. This reissue also features new cover art.
On September 17, Legacy Recordings will release the 35th Anniversary Legacy Edition of I Robot.
Track-listing of I Robot
1. I Robot
2. I Wouldn t Want To Be Like You
3. Some Other Time
5. Don’t Let It Show
6. The Voice
8. Day After Day (The Show Must Go On)
9. Total Eclipse
10. Genesis Ch1 v32
1. U.S Radio Commercial for I Robot
2. Boules (I Robot Experiment)
3. Hilary Western Soprano Vocal Rehearsal
4. Extract 1 from The Alan Parsons Project Audio Guide
5. Extract 2 from The Alan Parsons Project Audio Guide
6. I Wouldn’t Want To Be Like You (Backing Track Rough)
7. Some Other Time – Complete vocal by Jaki Whitren
8. Breakdown (Early demo of backing riff)
9. Extract 3 from The Alan Parsons Project Audio Guide
10. Breakdown – The Choir
11. Don’t Let It Show Demo
12. Day After Day (Early Stage Rough Mix)
13. Genesis Ch. 1 V. 32 – Choir Session
14. The Naked Robot