Folk music in all of its forms has been a core part of the history of Rock and Roll. In fact, so much so, that it defined its protest and defiance modes, creating heroes of many including Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, Woody Guthrie, Peter, Paul & Mary, and Gordon Lightfoot. And that’s not mentioning the electrified Folk like The Byrds, Fairport Convention. These days, Folk music still lives on in the works of bands like The Smoke Fairies (UK), First Aid Kit (Sweden), Lily and Madeleine (US), and The Paper Kites (Australia), to name a few active folk musicians.
On December 9, the fine people at Shout! Factory will release a 2CD Various Artists collection of classic Folk tracks from many great luminaries of the genre (see track-list below). The collection is entitled The Only Folk Collection You’ll Ever Need. It is a well-assembled collection that covers quite a bit of the early stages of the genre, providing a nicely rounded foray into the world of Folk. This set will offer tracks by many of the early influential folk mentors that include The Stanley Brothers, Lead Belly, and Woody Guthrie, moving along to include classic but more recent works by Eric Anderson, Donovan, The Kingston Trio, Tom Paxton, and The Byrds.
The set will contain a booklet with photos, credits, and an introduction to the important Folk world by music journalist and author, Bill Bush.
01. The Carter Family – Can The Circle Be Unbroken (Bye and Bye)
02. Huddie “Lead Belly” Ledbetter – Rock Island Line
03. Woody Guthrie – This Land Is Your Land
04. The Stanley Brothers – I’m A Man Of Constant Sorrow
05. Gordon Jenkins & His Orchestra featuring The Weavers – Goodnight, Irene (Single Version)
06. Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry – John Henry
07. The Kingston Trio – Tom Dooley
08. The Springfields – Silver Threads and Golden Needles
09. Dave Van Ronk – He Was A Friend Of Mine
10. Peter, Paul & Mary – Blowin’ In The Wind
11. Ian & Sylvia – Four Strong Winds
12. Tom Paxton – The Last Thing On My Mind
13. Bob Dylan – The Times They Are A-Changin’
14. Ramblin’ Jack Elliott – Roving Gambler
15. Doc Watson – Sitting On Top Of The World
01. Phil Ochs – I Ain’t Marching Anymore
02. The Byrds – Mr. Tambourine Man
03. Pete Seeger – If I Had A Hammer
04. Fred Neil – Little Bit of Rain
05. Donovan – Catch The Wind
06. Joan Baez – There But For Fortune
07. Gordon Lightfoot – Early Mornin’ Rain
08. Mississippi John Hurt – I Shall Not Be Moved
09. Eric Andersen – Thirsty Boots
10. Tim Hardin – If I Were A Carpenter
11. Tom Rush – No Regrets
12. Judy Collins – Turn, Turn, Turn! / To Everything There Is A Season
13. Fairport Convention – Who Knows Where The Time Goes?
14. John Prine – Angel From Montgomery
15. Odetta – Ain’t No Grave Gonna Hold My Body Down