King Crimson represents several intense periods of Rock and Roll history. The one best known is, of course, their late ’60s and the early ’70s. That period not only employed Greg Lake, John Wetton, and Bill Bruford, but contained the entire energy of one Robert Fripp. That period created much loved albums that include In The Court Of The Crimson King, Lark’s Tongue in Aspic, Red, and Starless And Bible Black, to name a few. After that lengthy period of inactivity that allowed Fripp to be Fripp with a series of solo classics (Exposure – 1979, Evening Star (w/Eno) – 1975), his work with The League Of Gentlemen, and a lot of collaboration and session work, Fripp re-energized King Crimson with a post-punk edition that boasted Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, and a continuing Bill Bruford. Their studio output includes Discipline (1981), Beat (1982), and Three Of A Perfect Pair (1984). Unfortunately, after Three Of A Perfect Pair, the band went into hibernation before awakening for their next period.
However short-lived that second period band was , it left behind plenty of usable live and studio material, the like of which is unearthing in an upcoming 17-disc Box set called On (And Off) The Road 1981-1984. This set is a complete overview of that lineup and their live presence. The Box will offer 11 CDs, three DVD-Audio, and three BD-Audio discs. It is scheduled for October 21.
The CDs will offer the following:
- Discipline – New Steven Wilson stereo remix
- Beat – New Steven Wilson stereo remix
- Three Of A Perfect Pair – New Steven Wilson stereo remix
- Final concerts from each album’s tour that include Japan ’81 (new on CD), Germany ’82 (new remix), Canada ’84 (new remaster)
- Two CDs filled with additional studio recordings including a ‘making of’ and outtakes
The DVD-Audios are hi-rez stereo (24-bit/96KHz) and 5.1 Surround mixes of:
- Three Of A Perfect Pair
The Blu-ray Audio discs are hi-rez Stereo and 5.1 Stereo and 5.1 Surround mixes of:
- Three Of A Perfect Pair
- PLUS, extensive video material extending from all three albums, AND more audio options than found on the DVD-Audio discs.
- The Absent Lovers concert is included in a brand new 5.1 Surround mix on the Three Of A Perfect Pair BD-Audio.
The booklet is a solid inclusion with new notes, memorabilia, content listings, and an assortment of essential photographs. It’s a pricey purchase at around $150, however, it’s important to note that you not only get plenty of definitive live material, you also get the original albums on CD, BD-Audio, and DVD-Audio. If these were purchased separately, well…you get the picture.
The seventeen discs of On (And Off) The Road 1981-1984 are housed in a 12″ Box. This Box is a Limited Edition availability.