Anniversaries are beautiful celebrations of a loved past. You see them in almost everything that has happened, good or bad. But typically, anniversaries represent the good memories. ones that we want to refocus on after time has passed. This year, Atlantic Records (a celebrated division of the younger WMG) will celebrate the 75th anniversary of their existence with a collection of specialty releases that embody their years of popularity. Among those bright stars are Yes, CSN, Genesis, Ray Charles, John Coltrane, Charlie Mingus, Bad Company, Foreigner, and many other excellent bands that enjoyed their releases on the historic label.
At some point in the remainder of this year, Atlantic Records will releasing 75 brand new remasters of classic albums from the catalog. The event will be known as 75 For 75. In a partnership with Analogue Productions (and in alliance with Acoustic Sounds), there will be subsequent releases that will involve numbered (up to 2000 copies, after which, the issues will be non-numbered) 180g-weight vinyl reissues cut at 45 RPM, and un-numbered SACDs. These will release two a month, resulting in a three-year party of great reissues.
There will be three select specialty purchase options that will include guaranteed 0-100 series numbering, and 101-250, 251-500, for the entire set of releases. Otherwise, you can pick up the 2LP offering at later numbered options at $60 each title, or if the album is already a 2LP set, a 4LP package will sell for $120 (remember that these LPs are cut at 45RPM, so double the vinyl for original LP sets). You can acquire more info on the event here.
The SACDs will sell in unnumbered sets at $30 per SACD, and $60 for 2SACD.
Here is the current partial list (with more to follow as the program fleshes out over the next three years):
- Genesis: Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, The Lamb Lies
Down On Broadway, A Trick Of The Tail, Abacab, Genesis
- Phil Collins: Face Value, Hello, I Must Be Going!
- John Coltrane: Giant Steps, Coltrane Jazz, My Favorite Things, Bags & Trane (w/ Milt
Jackson), Ole Coltrane, Coltrane Plays The Blues, Coltrane’s Sound
- Ray Charles: Ray Charles, The Great Ray Charles, What’d I Say, The Genius Of Ray
Charles, The Genius After Hours
- Bad Company: Bad Company, Straight Shooter, Run With The Pack, Burnin’ Sky,
- Charles Mingus: Pithecanthropus Erectus, The Clown, Blues & Roots, Oh Yeah!
- Yes: The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge, 90125
- Otis Redding: Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul, The Otis Redding Dictionary Of
Soul, The Soul Album, The Dock Of The Bay
- Foreigner: Foreigner, Double Vision, Head Games, 4
- Crosby Stills & Nash: Crosby, Stills & Nash, Déjà Vu (w/Neil Young), CSN, Daylight
- Buffalo Springfield: Buffalo Springfield, Buffalo Springfield Again
- Dr. John: Gris Gris, In The Right Place, Dr. John’s Gumbo
- Stone Temple Pilots: Core, Purple
- More to be announced!